Real Help When You Need It Most

Since 1971, our firm has been using our skills as litigators and negotiators to help people secure the best possible results to the challenges they are facing. Let us put those skills to work for you.

We Can Answer Your Questions About Workers’ Compensation

Securing workers’ compensation benefits after an injury on the job is not easy. The law is incredibly complex, particularly if you are trying to cope with physical therapy, returning to your job and managing your family life.

At Lieberman & Tamulonis, our attorneys use more than 100 years of combined legal experience to help injured workers in Pottsville and the surrounding metro area. On this page, we have answered some of the questions that we frequently hear about workers’ comp law. We hope that it provides a foundation to answer some of your own questions.

How do I know if I have a workers’ compensation claim?

Generally, an illness or injury incurred due to your job duties counts as an occupational injury and qualifies for workers’ comp benefits. However, you probably do not have a claim if your accident involved:

  • Drugs or alcohol
  • Horseplay
  • Self-inflicted harm
  • Disregarding workplace safety rules

Otherwise, though, every employer in Pennsylvania that has one or more workers has a duty to purchase workers’ compensation insurance to cover your damages if you suffer an occupational injury or illness.

What should I do if I get injured at work?

After a workplace injury, try to follow these steps:

  1. Report the injury to your supervisor.
  2. Seek medical attention immediately. Go to a hospital, if necessary.
  3. Know that you have the right to see a doctor of your choice and not the one selected by your employer.
  4. Do not speak with any insurance company representatives.
  5. Seek help from a workers’ comp attorney.

If you adhere to these steps, you have a much better chance of recovering full benefits for your damages.

Do I still have a claim if I didn’t report my injury to my employer immediately?

Possibly. In Pennsylvania, you have up to three years from the date of the incident to file a workers’ compensation claim. If you miss this statute of limitations, however, you lose your right to recover compensation.

Do I need a lawyer to file a workers’ compensation claim?

You have the right to handle a claim on your own. This is not always wise, though. Your employer’s insurance company has its own powerful attorneys who are determined to minimize the amount they pay you or deny your claim completely. By hiring your own lawyer, you level the playing field and have someone in your corner who will advocate for your rights tirelessly.

What are lost wage benefits and how can I get them?

Lost wages are the income that you lose because you have to take time off from work due to your injury. You can also lose wages because you have to attend doctor appointments, hospital stays, physical therapy or other hurdles related to your injury. You can receive compensation for lost wages by calculating the amount of income you have lost and petitioning to recover it through your workers’ compensation benefits.

What happens if I can no longer do my previous job because of my injury?

Pennsylvania does not provide benefits for a permanent total disability. You can seek benefits for total temporary disability (TTD) until you manage to find another job. If you cannot work again, you might have the option of receiving Social Security Disability benefits or filing a personal injury claim to recover additional compensation.

Do You Have More Questions? Ask Us.

In addition to providing more answers to your questions, we can serve as your guides through the complex steps of the workers’ compensation claims process. Learn how we can help you recover the benefits you need. To speak with us, please call our toll-free number at 800-473-8125, call our local number at 570-391-0641 or send us an email.